History

Teddy Farrar - founder and GSL for 25 years

Teddy Farrar

 

The group was started in 1932 by Lewis Edmund (Teddy) Farrah. Teddy was a local man, although he was born in Hebden Bridge in 1903, he lived and worked in Sowerby Bridge. He was a member at Tuel Lane Methodist Church (now called St Paul’s) from a very early age. He was very active within the church as a Sunday School Teacher, and also later as Superintendent.

Teddy not only founded the Troop, but was also its Scoutmaster and Group Scout Leader for 25 years.

The group flourished and by the time this photograph was taken nearly a year later, in 1933, the group had over 30 members.

The Scouts August 1933

The Scouts August 1933

The photograph was taken at “The Rec” – The Recreation Ground on Clay Street, off Tuel Lane. It was from here on the 1st Sunday of each month the Scouts would parade down to Church, lead by a band. This practice carried on for many years; it was only stopped around 10 years ago when it became dangerous, as car drivers weren’t prepared to wait a few minutes, and tried to push past. We still have parades on special events like St George’s Day and the annual anniversary, but with road closures and a police presence.

In 1935 the troop was awarded the Progress Shield

In 1935 the troop was awarded the Progress Shield

The Scout Band outside the Church on Tuel Lane (now Tower Hill)

The Scout Band outside the Church on Tuel Lane (now Tower Hill)

Still going strong - The Troop in the early 1960's

Still going strong – The Troop in the early 1960’s