St Peter's Church, Sowerby village, on the hillside above Sowerby Bridge.
The present building, built in 1766, was erected to replace an older building situated in what is now the churchyard. The oldest gravestone is dated 1673.
Notable features inside inclued a tiled floor, beautiful Rocco plasterwork on the ceiling and in the chancel, a balcony fitted out with box pews held up by majestic Corinthian columns and a font, thought to be from the original church.
The church houses memorials to two of the towns famous people:
- John Tillotson who was born at Haugh End in the mid 1600's. He was Archbishop of Canterbury during the reign of William & Mary. A marble statue of him is inset at the west end of the north wall in the church and a commemorative tomb is in the old graveyard.
- William Saltonstall, famous in bellringing circles was from this church.