Christ Church, B'land
Christ Church, S Br
Elim, S Br
Food - Eat In
Food - Take Away
St Luke's (Anglican)
Asst Priest: Rev Lesley Ennis
These times are a guide only. For further information on services and all that is happening at St Luke's, please see the latest copy of The Norland Flyer
The attractive St Luke’s Church cost £900 to build and Mrs H A Norris laid the foundation stone on July 13th 1865. On the night of Saturday February 17th, three weeks before the opening, some persons attempted to break into the church. Considerable damage was done to the main doors and a reward of £5 was offered for the apprehension of the culprits.
Despite a heavy fall of snow on the day of the opening, there was a large congregation. A disappointment was that the Bishop of Ripon was unable to attend because of illness. Sixteen clergymen from the surrounding districts were present. Archdeacon Musgrove, Vicar of Halifax, preached the sermon and conducted the communion service. Prayers were read by the Rev. J Ellison, Incumbent of Sowerby Bridge, and lessons were read by the Rev. E Sandford, Incumbent of Elland, and the Rev. J Hall, curate of Sowerby Bridge. A graveyard was attached to the church – the first interment took place there two days after the opening of the church, when Robert Lacy, infant son of Mr Ellison, the Sowerby Bridge Incumbent, was buried.
For many years, St Luke’s had the status of an ecclesiastical parish and was served by a vicar. Amalgamation later took place with Sowerby Bridge parish and this has been the arrangement up until this year.
On 1st May 2006 St Luke’s once again became an independent ecclesiastical parish.
1866 - 2006
The church celebrated its 140th Anniversary on the weekend of 8-9th July 2006